Monday, December 24, 2007

The Old Dying Priest

The old priest lay dying in the hospital. For years he had Faithfully
served the people of the nation's capital. He motioned for his nurse to come
near.
"Yes, Father?" said the nurse.
"I would really like to see Ex prime-ministers Jean Chretien and Brian
Mulroney before I die," whispered the priest.
"I'll see what I can do, Father." replied the nurse.
The nurse sent the request to the Prime ministers office and waited for
a response. Soon the word arrived, former prime-ministers would be delighted
to visit the priest. As they went to the hospital, Jean commented to
Brian, "I don't know why the old priest wants to see us, but it will certainly
help our images and might even get me re-elected
someday." Brian, agreed that it was a good thing.
When they arrived at the priest's room, the priest took Brian's hand in
his right hand and Jean's hand in his left. There was silence and a look of
serenity on the old priest's face. Finally Brian Mulroney
spoke. "Father, of all the people you could have chosen, why did you
choose us to be with you as you near the end?"
The old priest slowly replied, "I have always tried to pattern my life
after our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
"Amen," said Brian.
"Amen," said Jean.
The old priest continued, "Jesus died between two lying thieves.
I would like to do the same."

No comments: