Monday, March 16, 2009

Bidding for a government job

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House in D.C.; One from Massachusetts, one from Tennessee and a third from Kentucky . They all go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The Tennessee contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil.
'Well', he says, 'I figure the job will run about $900: $400 for materials, $400 for my crew and $100 profit for me.'

The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, 'I can do this job for $700: $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me.'
The Massachusetts contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, '$2,700.'

The official, incredulous, whispers back, 'You didn't even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?'

The Massachusetts contractor whispers back, '$1000 for me, $1000 for you and we hire that guy from Kentucky to fix the fence.'

'Done,' replies the government official ~ And that my friends, is how it all works!!!

No comments: